Thursday, June 27, 2013
Monday, June 17, 2013
Pond Bucket Mouth
I was recently reminded how fun it is to stand on the front of a flat bottom and toss for bass. Particularly when you're the one doing the fishing and your pal is doing the boating -- thanks Andy!
|hooked a nice 20"er|
Wednesday, June 5, 2013
Poppers for Bass
Some good tips for chucking poppers for bass from they guys at G&G.
Gink & Gasoline's Fly Fishing Bass: 5 Tips for Fishing Frog Patterns Around Grass
I'm throwing out a bonus 5 tips from Currents.
1. Fish poppers in the rain. This is my #1 because I love fishing poppers in the rain. The rain brings the bucket mouths to the water's edge. The big boys often leave the shallows in the bright daylight hours. The rain gives them a sense of security to move shallow and feed.
2. Mix up the popping. Sometimes a hard smack and a long pause can be irresistible, and sometimes you want to chuga-chug that popper.
3. Throw a smaller popper. Size does matter. Try to match the meat.
4. Fish em early and late in the day. Chow time.
5. Fish the cover. They G&G guys with specifics on poppers around grass.
Tuesday, June 4, 2013
tackle and misc pics
|trout bait restock|
|weight those carp flies hook up!|
|Andy's hopper and message for grass carp|
|Andy's meat box.|
|Baetisca Larva print by Nate.|
|Back yard big mouth|
|playin' in the mud|
Monday, June 3, 2013
Reflecting on a great weekend. Calexico played at The Englert in Iowa City on Friday night. I've been looking forward to May 31st for a few months. Playing Calexico's new album, Algiers, each day at work. If you're a Calexico fan you gotta see these guys live someday. Tour Schedule. Here's a setlist you can play on Youtube. I was blown away by the seven bandmates shuffling instruments, from trumpets to accordion to slide guitar. Lead singer and guitarist Joey Burns set the vibe with his stage enthusiasm. At a live show they feel more alt rock'n'roll than on record. But then again, it's hard to describe Calexico's genre -- Mexican-influenced, country-folk, indie rock..? If you crank their tunes through some large speakers you'll come closer to replicating the live sound. Thanks for a great show Calexico!
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)