Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Conversation at the Lake


A recent conversation with two bobber fisherman at the lake.

Me: How's the fishing?
Bob R: Pretty Good. What you fishing for?
Me: I'm fishing for carp. (they stare at my weird looking fishing rod).
Bob R: (long pause and puzzled look). You cut their bellies and throw em back, right?
Me: No, I'm catching them for fun and I'm pretty sure you can't do that. DNR will write you up for that.
Bob R: Hell no they won't! Them'r invasive species.
Me: You know if I killed the one carp I catch today it isn't going to put a dent in the thousands in this lake.
Bob R: (looks at me with disgust) You know there be walleye in this lake?
Me: Yep. But no walleye in this lake that will bend this rod over like a carp will.

6 comments:

  1. Cuthier bellies and throw them back!!! So wrong on so many levels. And like walleye are native. So sorry, I always feel like I am going to vomit when I have those run-ins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. salt of the earth, man

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got them out here too. Seems like they are as good at reproducing as carp are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But dem walleyes taste good was the next thing he said right? They don't care about the walleyes well being, just the state of filets in their freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a native minnow that is much like the walleye, except I don't know of anyone eating them. Hard strike and then a fight at the net is all. Walleye will be, if not already, (several have been caught,) in our Snake R. I do not want them, but here the fillet crowd reigns. And I dislike those conversations also, that oddly happen after a person fought in a hard fighting carp thinking it a record bass/trout/whatever and discovers the object of thier delight seconds before.

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete