Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Small Streams

This is the spot where I hooked up with this nice smally. It was my first time on this stream and I had been fishing for about 10 minutes when I hooked up. He was sitting on the far bank among some rock and tree roots in about 3 feet of water. I swung a black and tan bugger from upstream. The water was clear enough that I saw him shoot from the bank and gobble up my bugger. The next couple hours brought many smallies to hand, but none as pretty as this one. Exploring new water is a thrill. I love fishing small streams. It parallels trout fishing in many ways. A big reason I target smallies apposed to trout is my proximity to smally water. Iowa has so many great smally waters. The whole NE quadrant has great habitat. I'm looking forward to hitting some new water this year. I'll be exploring streams near Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Waverly, Ames, just to name a few. My job requires I travel throughout Iowa. I'm always keeping an eye out for the next stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment