Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Best fly of 2012



The samurai was the fly of the year for me. Black marabou tail, peacock body, grizzly hackle, and rainbow flashabou with black rabbit strip for the wing. I added some rubber legs to these and tossed in a couple of olive buggers. I would like to credit the person that developed this fly, but all I know is Trey Combs mentions this fly as the 'Bulkley River Samurai' in his steelhead fly fishing book and indicates that he first saw people fishing it in the late 1980's.  If anyone knows who is responsible for this magical creation, please let me know.
Merry Christmas John, these are yours. 



10 comments:

  1. oh yeah. this was my favorite fly to swing!
    On the smaller or slower water I reach for a dirty mop. I have a few tied up for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like another winner boys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bulky body is what makes these flies a winner

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you ask a guy in my fishing club he will tell you he invented it. I'm sure that fly has been around since the invention of the wooly bugger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin, I know that guy. He was in the Arrowhead Flyfishers in Duluth and then I ran across him at the Coulee Region TU meetings. He is everywhere and invented most any fly that adds beads, rubber legs or flash to such classics as the wooly bugger or pheasant tail. -Sarcasm here :)

      Delete
  5. I don't know the origin of the fly but I can see why it's a killer. Just to let you know, I've posted a fly swap offer on my blog and would be delighted to have you participating if you feel up to it. All the info is in the last blog.

    Have fun catching big trout with your Samurai fly,
    Mats Olsson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in the day, in Smithers, BC, a guy named Johnny Mintz started a small fly shop called the Fish'n Factory. A local kid used to come in and tie this fly for re-sale to many visiting anglers who came by, locals too. The kid's heritage was from Japan, so he named the fly the bulkley (river) samurai. it began on a Tiemco 7999, in sizes 2, 1/0, and 2/0.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info. Can you direct me to anything more? I sure love this fly.

      Delete
  7. friggin awesome lookin fly. I'll definitely have to add a few to my box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it should work up there in God's country.

      Delete